Foot odor, as you can imagine, is an embarrassing and annoying problem that no one wants to deal with. This condition is referred to as bromodosis, which occurs when the bacteria that gets on the skin of the foot interacts with the sweat on it, releasing an odor. The sweat is generally a result of wearing the same shoes every day. Similarly, those who stand on their feet for long amounts of time are more prone to having issues related to sweat. Fungal infections are another cause for odor on the feet. Hence, feet will generally become susceptible to developing odor by not alternating shoes. Damp shoes are ideal for bacteria to grow because they thrive in dark and warm environments.
So how do you treat your smelly feet?
Treatment for this condition includes:
● Making sure to wash your feet with antibacterial soap to kill off any lingering bacteria present on the skin.
● Refraining from wearing the same shoes for consecutive days. Changing shoes every other day will help to allow for a dry environment in the shoes.
● Drying feet daily after washing.
● Changing socks daily or twice a day depending on the amount of sweat the feet produces.
● Trimming toenails so that bacteria do not hide underneath them.
● Having a podiatrist remove layers of hard skin since they can retain moisture and make it easier for bacteria to grow.
● Utilizing insoles that have been medicated to prevent bacteria from growing within your shoes when standing on feet for long amounts of time.
● Using footwear made of natural materials to allow aeration for your feet. Plastic materials will cause feet to sweat much easier.
No one wants to be the source of an unpleasant scent in the room. Luckily, it is a condition that can be managed with professional help. At Cange Podiatry Inc., located in Ellicott City and Glen Burnie, MD, foot doctor Darlyne Cange, DPM, will help to provide the very best and latest treatment methods to eradicate your foot odor so you can let those feet out for the world to see! Make an appointment online or contact our Howard County offices to take a step in the right direction.